Article How to protect your Facebook and Instagram account
As part of our ongoing efforts to help keep your social media accounts safe, we have compiled this quick and easy-to-understand and implement guide on How to protect your Facebook and Instagram account/s
The Facebook suite as things stand refers to your Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp accounts.
So to ensure the safety of your profile, we highly suggest that you follow each point listed below.
MANAGE WHO CAN SEE YOU AS A FRIEND ON FACEBOOK.
- For example, change your privacy setting to only friends of friends. This helps to separate the entire world from your personal life.
REMOVE YOUR PERSONAL PROFILE FROM SEARCH ENGINE RESULTS.
- In the Settings and Privacy section on Facebook, you can control whether a search engine will show your profile in its results.
***NB*** ACTIVATE TWO-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION.
- This is extremely important! It means that you’ll have to confirm your identity when logging in from a device that Facebook does not recognise. CLICK HERE to learn how to add two-factor authentication.
ACTIVATE AND MANAGE YOUR ALERTS.
- Make sure login alerts and approvals are activated so that you’re alerted if someone logs in to your account from a different device or changes login details such as your primary email address.
UPDATE YOUR PRIVACY SETTINGS.
- Make sure that all of your privacy settings are up to date. To run a Privacy Checkup, click on your Facebook profile, then select Privacy Checkup.
DON’T ACCEPT FRIEND REQUESTS FROM PEOPLE YOU DON’T KNOW
- Scammers may create fake accounts in an attempt to friend and manipulate people. Accepting requests from scammers could lead to spam being posted on your timeline and shared with your friends. So we encourage you to be careful to only accept friend requests from people you know and trust.
- Scammers may have also hacked a person that you trust’s account. So if you are already a friend on Facebook, and you receive another request for friendship from the same friend, it may very well be a fake account. Make contact with the person and double-check before accepting.
WATCH OUT FOR SUSPICIOUS LINKS AND MALICIOUS SOFTWARE
- Keep an eye out for links you don’t recognise, especially if they’re coming from people you don’t know or trust. Be careful not to click on suspicious links, open suspicious files or install malicious apps or browser extensions. This includes links on Facebook, in private messages and in emails.
- To avoid infecting your device or computer network, learn the signs of malicious software and ways you can protect your devices from it. And remember to keep your devices, web browsers and applications up to date and remove any suspicious applications or browser add-ons.
***NB*** NEVER LOG IN TO OTHER APPS/SOFTWARE USING YOUR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT
- Rather create a profile using your email address and punch in a password. If any of these apps are hacked that you used your Facebook to log into, it may affect your Facebook profile.
WARNING SIGNS THAT YOUR ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HACKED
Knowing what signs to look for can help you take swift action. If you notice any of the following activity, you may have been hacked:
- Your email or password has changed
- Your name or birthday has changed
- Friend requests have been sent to people you don’t know
- Messages have been sent that you didn’t write
- Posts have been made that you didn’t create
In this event, your Facebook page has been hacked CLICK HERE
Good luck, and ensure to be vigilant with all of your online activities/tasks. If you need assistance with this, please feel free to get in touch with us.
Innovative Marketing SA™️ is an award-winning complete digital marketing turnkey solution with the added benefits of graphic design, copywriting, sponsored campaigns, website development and customised branding services.
We populate & manage the online community with your business’ brand identity for you. All in an effort to develop and monitor your business’ success and growth by keeping you in front of mind in the consumer’s markets.
For more information:
Please get in touch with us on 082 568 7525 / (011) 888-3658 | email@example.com
We would love to connect with you @InnovativeZA
“Don’t just partner with any digital marketing agency.
Work with a company you can trust.”